|The latest issue of Caduceus can be downloaded here: Fall 2017|
Previous issues of Caduceus can be downloaded in PDF:
Caduceus archives from Winter 2012 to Summer 2016 are available on the Caduceus Google site.
For current issues and archives from 2012-present, visit the new Caduceus website.
2010: Fall-Winter, I / Fall-Winter, II / Spring-Summer, I / Spring-Summer, II
2009: Spring 2009
2008: Fall ’08-Winter ’09 / Summer, I / Summer, II / Spring
2007: Fall ’07-Winter ’08, I / Fall ’07-Winter ’08, II / Summer, I / Summer, II / Spring
2006: Fall ’06-Winter ’07, I / Fall ’06-Winter ’07, II / Summer, I / Summer, II / Spring, I / Spring, II
2005: Fall-Winter, I / Fall-Winter, II / Summer / Spring
2004: Fall-Winter / Spring / Summer
2003: Winter ’03-’04 / Summer / Spring, April / Spring, March
Highlights of the Summer 2011 Issue:
- Administrator Patricia Thickstun gives an update on changes occurring in the Medical Division.
- New Editor Donna Furlani explains the MD’s goal of moving Caduceus to an electronic format.
- Yuliya Baldwin shares terminology and insights into how medical dramas, such as House, can benefit interpreters and translators.
- Laura Espondaburu reviews the literature on communication techniques practiced by doctors when delivering bad news to see what interpreters might learn from these techniques.
- Ann Wiles discusses the French acronym TVC in her first edition of “Ann’s Acronyms…and other French-English medical conundrums”.
Highlights of the Fall-Winter 2010 Issue:
- Administrator Patricia Thickstun highlights the Medical Division sessions offered at this year’s conference.
- Lindsay Langford explains the role of genetic counselors and how it applies to interpreters.
- Ariel Lenarduzzi discusses strategies for interpreters and providers working with older adults who have limited English proficiency.
- Monica Guelman and Steven Becerra complete their three-part series on medical interpreting with attention to cultural competency and integrating medical interpreters into the healthcare team.
- Book reviews of Marguerite Sechehaye’s Autobiography of a Schizophrenic Girl submitted by Maria Rosdolsky, and Beverley Henderson and Jennifer Lee Dorsey’s Medical Terminology for Dummiessubmitted by Carmen Cross.
- Maria Rosdolsky shares a glossary of schizophrenia terminology in English and German.
- Feedback from Leon McMorrow on Maria Rosdolsky’s article “Back Translation of Medical Documents”, which appeared in the Spring/Summer 2010 newsletter.
Highlights for the Spring-Summer 2010 Issue:
- Patricia Thickstun shares her perspective and strategy as the new Medical Division Administrator. Also included is Patricia’s interview with two translators who answered the call for volunteers to provide linguistic assistance for the 2010 Haiti earthquake response. In addition, Patricia highlights erectile dysfunction diagnosis methods as well as current and experimental treatments.
- Suzanne Couture, the new Assistant Administrator and Interim Editor, provides an overview of the MD meeting held during the ATA 50th Annual Conference in New York City, as well as the results of the online poll administered through the listserv in February.
- Carmen Cross brings the topic of Bipolar Disease to our attention and Maria Rosdolsky explores the back translation of medical documents with English-German examples.
- Jill Heske, a new contributor, invites us to contribute to WordVillage, an online glossary that she created, which currently offers Spanish-English glossaries of commercial, legal, medical and technology terms.
- Monica Guelman and Steven Becerra continue their series on medical interpreting, focusing on the issue of untrained interpreters and translators in the medical field.
View/download the Spring-Summer 2010 issue.
Highlights of the Summer 2009 Issue:
- 2009 Mid-Year Conference Program
- Genetics Part II
- Genetics and Breast Cancer
- Bits and Pieces
- Evolution – Hiccups and Choking
- Targeted Therapy
- Book Review
- Swine Flu
- 2009 MD Survvey Results
- Medical Resources Online
- HIV/AIDS Acronyms
- Nominations Form for Division Officer
View/download the Summer 2009 issue.
Highlights of the Spring 2009 Issue:
- Genetics Part I - a general basic introduction to the field of Human Genetics, early evolutionary thinking, the discovery of DNA and a closer look at the field
- The Glossarium is dedicated to Genetics terminology and information sources
- Surgical Perspectives - Robotic Surgery
- Hematology series - Monoclonal antibodies – the Basics
- Bits – Pieces – Facts – Figures – a little bit of everything. Headaches. Pulses. Look-alike words. Look up the excellent Brain Tutorial mentioned.
- Bone geography - a bit of relaxing word finding
- Pitfalls and Caveats - Remembering Darwin on his 200th anniversary and 150 years after his Origin of the Species
- Interpreters at Work - keeping professional boundaries in a very challenging situation.
View/download the Spring 2009 issue.
Highlights of the Fall 2008-Winter 2009 Issue:
- The Practice of Medicine - How many varieties of medical practices are there?
- Breast Cancer – Part II - Staging System, Use of Chemotherapy, Detection and Screening
- Pitfalls and Caveats - Emerging terminology
- Glossarium - Look-alike medical words and illustrations
- All About Medical Boards - From Medical School to Practicing Specialist
- Bits and Pieces - A little bit about everything – from Alzheimer’s to golden standard to dietary fiber and more
- Interpreters at Work - The patient speaks better English than the Interpreter
- Mental Status Glossary - German – English – Spanish
View/download the Fall 2008-Winter 2009 issue.